Historical landmarks of Svilengrad which you may visit.
The Thracian Beehive Tomb in the village of Mezek is the biggest and one of the most interesting and impressive beehive tombs of Mycenean type in Thracia. It is completely preserved in its original form. The objects found in it are presented with their hologram images. Here is also found bronze sculpture of wild boar in natural height and weight of 177 kg. Today the find is in the Istanbul Archeological Museum in Turkey.
The Medieval fortress near the village of Mezek has been border watch-fortress which secured territories between the rivers Maritsa and Arda. Now it is turned in medieval attraction which attracts visitors from the country and abroad.
The „Bukelon” fortress near the village of Matochina is at the border with Turkey. From here may be seen the minarets of Odrin city. In the fields around the shores of Tundzha in 1205 Tsar Kaloyan together with the Koumanians defeated the Latins and captured their Emperor Baldwin of Flanders. It is stated that the first several days of his capture he spent in “Bukelon” before being brought in the capital Tarnovo and the tower in which he was captured received his name – Baldwin.
Rock Churches – village of Matochina and village of Mihalich.
The old bridge of Svilengrad was built in 1529. Now it is turned into pedestrian area and place for relax at the river Maritsa. And above its quiet stream recently was built a stage in open air for performances.
In the called by the Svilengrad residents “Red School” was teaching the Patriarch of Bulgarian literature – Ivan Vazov. Impressed by the place Vazov also devoted one of its poetries to Svilengrad.
In Svilengrad is situated one of the few natural fields of snowflake in Bulgaria.
In the area before “Kapitan Andreevo” point, few meters away from “Maritsa” highway are found traces of “Via Diagonalis”, the ancient Roman road connecting Middle Europe and Constantinople.